Explorers Lesson Plan and WebQuest
Subject Area: History Social Science & Information Skills
Lesson Title: Explorers’ Webquest
Grade 3: HSS 3.3a, b, c, d, e, f
Information Skills: Standards 1, 2, 3 (Locates, uses and evaluates information effectively)
Day 1: Media specialist introduces the webquest using the instructional cart and SMART Board demonstrating how to locate and access information from the selected website. Students will accurately read and record information to their note sheets for Christopher Newport during the demonstration. Students will trace his exploration route from point of origin to destination in North America. LMS will change to a map of Virginia and trace (using the SMART Board tools) the route used by Captain Newport to sail up the James River to the Fall Line.
Day 2: Students will work with partners to locate and access the selected website. Students will read and answer the guided questions for each explorer.
LMS and students will review answers for accuracy. Information will be tested on NPS 2nd Quarter Assessment.
Students will explore hyperlinks for Virginia, Florida, Canada, Ponce de Leon, Christopher Columbus and shipbuilding embedded within the explorer biographies.
Teacher’s name: June Hartig, Library Media Specialist
Grade level: 3
Subject area: History Social Science and Information Skills
School: W. H. Taylor Elementary
Address: 1122 West Princess Anne Road
District: Norfolk Public Schools
Student name: ______________
1. Name the river in Canada explored by Cartier.
3. Columbus led an expedition with three ships. Name his three ships. _____________, _____________, ____________________________
Juan Ponce de Leon
1. Which country sponsored Ponce de Leon’s expedition? ______________________________________
2. What was Ponce de Leon searching for when he discovered Florida ?
3. Draw a circle around Florida .
4. Ponce de Leon sailed with another famous explorer. Who was this famous explorer?
1. Draw a line to illustrate Christopher Newport’s route from England to Virginia.
2. Name the company that hired Newport to transport supplies and colonists to the colony of Virginia.
3. Name Captain Newport’s three ships. _____________, _____________, _____________ BONUS:
4. Captain Newport was the first European to reach the F______ L ______ of the James River.