Frequently Asked Questions  


 SchoolCenter Picture



1. What are the school hours of attendance?

School begins at 7:25 am and ends at 2:05 pm, with the exception of early release days in which school ends at 12:05 pm. Students are considered late if they arrive after the 7:25 am bell.

2. What is ParentLink?

ParentLink is a new Norfolk Public Schools online system that allows Norview High School to communicate with its parents and guardians. This parental tool allows administrators, teachers, and other school personnel to improve communications within the school and its community, by sending mass emails and telephone messages to your home to inform our families of special events and programs, report card and testing dates and guidance related activities. The system will automatically call between the hours of 5:00 pm and 9:00 pm and will work with any answering machine device.

3. Where can I find a Free and Reduced Lunch Form application?

The Main office has copies of the application. Once the application is completely filled out, please have your child return it to the main office. If you qualify, the Nutrition Department will contact you.

4. Do you have parent/teacher conferences in high school?

Yes. If you are concerned about one or more of your child's classes, you can call the appropriate counselor to set up a meeting. By making an appointment you can be assured that the counselor and/or teachers will have time to talk to you. If you show up without an appointment, you may have to wait or you will find that the person you want to talk with is unavailable. Parent/Teacher conferences are held on Thursdays according to the schedule on the Academic Affairs calendar immediately after school in the commons. A meeting with just the counselor can be set for anytime during the school day. The best way to get in touch with a teacher is through email of your child's counselor. E-mails are a great way to communicate and make contact with the counselors.

5. When do report cards come out and how do I get them?

Report cards will be distributed to the students in school in February and June. The semester is divided into three interims. Interim Evaluations will be distributed in October, November, January, March, April and May. Only final grades are used to determine students' GPA's (first semester grades are used in determining the GPA). If you are ever in doubt about your child's performance in school, call or e-mail the assigned academic advisor. He/She can get up to date progress reports to you within a day or two. Final report cards are not mailed home. They can be picked up in the main office a week after school is over. If your child owes fees to the school, your child's report card will be held until the fees are paid.

6. How many classes is my child taking this year?

On yearlong scheduling, students take the same 8 classes all year and can earn up to 8 credits each year. At the end of each semester, the student will earn .5 credit for every class passed and 1.5 credits for every NTC class passed.

7. If my child is sick, can the school provide missed work?

If a student is out of school for more than two days, you can call the counselor and he/she can get the work to you by the next day. If you know your child will be out for this amount of time, the earlier you call us the sooner we can get you the work. Your best bet is for your child to use the "buddy system" - that is to have a friend in each class that he/she can call when he/she is sick. This is the best system to use should your child be sick for one or two days.

8. If my child is absent, do I need a note or should I call the school?

If a student is absent, it is not necessary to call the school. An automated system will call your home to confirm that you child is absent. It is  necessary for students to bring in excuse notes (with them when they return to school) to the main office. Please maintain copies of all notes and/or excuses as documentation in the event that you will need to file an attendance appeal. Attendance appeal deadline dates are in the student planners.

9. When should I be concerned about my child's grades?

Right away. If your child complains (more than normal!) about school, make an appointment to see the child's counselor. If you haven't seen any grades by early October, something is wrong. Remember report card distribution dates and ask to see your child's grades. You can track your student's grades by using the Esembler on-line gradebook. Contact you student's Academic Advisor to get more information.

10. How do I know if he/she passes from one grade to the next?

In Virginia, we move students from one grade to the next according to the number of credits he/she has earned. A student needs 5 credits to be considered a sophomore, 10 credits to be considered a junior and 15 credits to be a senior. Additionally, a student must pass English and math every year, as well as SOL tests.

11. How important is attendance?

Very important. A student not only learns from the textbook but also from the information discussesd in class, as well as classroom activities.  A student who misses more than 7 days in a class per semester, will fail the class regardless of his/her grade. Appeals can be made to this school board rule by submitting written documentation (doctors' notes, legal notices, obituaries, etc.) at the end of the semester. An attendance appeal committee within the school will determine whether extenuating circumstances will be granted. PLEASE NOTE: There are two different types of attendance: homeroom attendance and classroom attendance.

12. Why am I receiving attendance notices in the mail?

When students are marked absent for a minimum of 5 days and then again when they reach 10 days, generated letters are produced and then sent home to alert parents to the possibility of failing due to poor attendance. School attendance is taken during homeroom. Class attendance is taken at the beginning of every bell. It is possible that your child's homeroom absences and classroom absences will not match.

13. What happens if my child loses a book?

Textbooks are loaned to students at the beginning of the school year. Students are expected to return textbooks in good condition at the end of the school year. Students that fail to adhere to this policy are charged the amount of the textbook. Students that are indebted to school will not receive report cards, transcripts, diplomas or other services that are provided by Norview High School. This also applies to art fees, library books, etc.

14. How does my child obtain a worker's permit?

Students under the age of 16 who wish to work must obtain a worker's permit from the Office of Pupil Personnel in the Norfolk Public Schools Central Administration Building. Please call 628-3931.

15. When can my child drive?

All students taking Health and Physical Education 10 have the opportunity to take the Driver's Education Class at Norview High School. Students 15 years and 6 months and older can receive their learner's permit from the DMV by taking their social security card, birth certificate, and a parent/guardian to the DMV. Your child must pass the test. Free booklets are available at the DMV so your child can study. Please speak to your child's PE teacher regarding Behind the Wheel instruction.

16. My child wants to go to college. What classes should he/she take?

Students should take at least five core classes each year (English, math, science, history, and usually a foreign language). Honors, Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment classes are also recommended for some students, but primarily good grades in regular or advanced classes are essential for gaining entrance into college. ACT/SAT scores, extra-curricular involvement, leadership positions, community service and recommendations are also considered. Copies of scholarships are available on the Academic Affaris web site. Students should visit their Academic Advisor to receive an application. Most scholarships are only available to seniors. However, there are some scholarships available for juniors.

17. When should my child take the ACT's, SAT's and the PSAT's?

Selected students are given the PSAT free of charge at Norview High School in October of every year. Students should definitely take the PSAT in their junior year, because those scores may qualify them for National Merit Scholarships. ACT's/SAT's are normally taken in the spring of the 11th grade year and the fall of the senior year. Information and registration booklets for these tests are available in the academies. Visit www.collegeboard.com or www.act.org for more information.

18. If I have moved recently or plan to move, do I need to inform Norview?

Yes. You need to let us know if you have moved or changed your home or work phone number and have not notified the school of that information. Address changes need to be documented with a current utility bill (water, gas, or electric only). Please go to the main office to update your information. If you are not receiving mail at your home from the school, most likely it is because the school does not have your current address. 

19. Are there any opportunities for career/vocational counseling for students?

Yes. All counselors work with students who want to learn more about the world of work. They help students prepare for life after high school by meeting with them individually and talking with groups of students. If you have specific concerns, you may contact your child's counselor.

20. If I need to pick up my child from school during the day, what do I need to do?

You need to come to the school and check out your son/daughter in the main office.

21. What are late buses?

Late buses allow students to participate in after school activities. The late buses leave school at 3:50 pm. Athletic buses allow students to participate in school athletics and leave school at 6:00 pm. PLEASE NOTE: All late buses run an extended route; therefore it will take your child longer to arrive home.

22. What is the bell schedule?

Bell 1/2 - 7:25 - 8:50 Bell 3/4 - 8:55 - 10:20 Bell 5/6 - 10:25 - 12:37 (lunch bell)  Bell 7/8 - 12:42 - 2:05

23. My child wants to a schedule change. What is the process?

Students are allowed to request schedule changes during the first week of school, provided they fill out the proper form. Changes are only for students that need a class due to graduation requirements, they were scheduled for a class that was successfully taken prior to their current schedule, or they are in a class that they don't have the prerequisites for.  Norview High School provides time in August when students are allowed to come in to change their schedules before school begins.

24. What can I do as a parent to help my child succeed in school?

There are many ways to help students succeed in school, but some suggestions include: create and consistently enforce house rules; ensure your child has a quiet place to study; ask about their homework and classes and ask to see their grades; be realistic about your expectations; encourage extra-curricular involvement, but don't force it; and call/email the teachers and counselors when you are in doubt.

25. What are the graduation requirements for the class of 2014?

All students must pass the following for the Standard (22 credits) Diploma: 4 credits of English, 3 credits of history, 3 credits of math (at and above Algebra), 3 credits of science, 2 credits of PE, 1 credit of fine/practical arts classes, and 6 electives. For the Advanced Studies (24 credits) Diploma, students must pass: 4 credits of English, 4 credits of history, 4 credits of math (through Algebra II), 4 credits of science, 3 credits of one foreign language, 2 credits of PE, 1 credit of fine/practical arts classes, and 2 electives.

26. How will the Standards of Learning (SOL's) affect my child?

All students must pass a certain number of SOL tests to graduate from high school. For the Advanced Studies Diploma, all students must pass 9 SOL tests (2 in English 11, 2 in math, 2 in science, 2 in social studies and one student selected). For a Standard Diploma, all students must pass 6 SOL tests (2 in English 11, 1 in math, 1 in science, 1 in social studies and one student selected). SOL tests are given in the following classes: Algebra I, Algebra I part B, Geometry, Geometry part B, Algebra II, Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, World Geography, World Studies I and II, US/VA History and English 11. It is imperative that your child is present on the days of SOL testing - regardless of their grade. These dates will be posted later in the semester.

27. Why am I receiving SOL test notifications in the mail?

Any student who does not successfully pass an SOL test will receive notifications in the mail alerting them of the next testing date. This is to ensure that our students receive every opportunity to retake the SOL test and ultimately achieve success. By passing the SOL tests, students are one step closer to becoming graduates of Norfolk Public Schools.

28. What if my child needs to attend Evening School in order to graduate?

The Norfolk Public Schools' Evening School program is housed at Granby High School. Their office is located across from the main office. This program allows seniors the opportunity to obtain needed credits for graduation. There is a fee for each class. You can contact the Evening School Office at 451-4050 between the hours of 3:30 pm and 8:30 pm, or your child's counselor for more information.

29. What is the 2.0 eligibility rule?

Students must have a 2.0 cumulative high school grade point average or a 2.0 GPA for the previous semester in order to be eligible to play high school sports. Ninth graders need to have a 2.0 for their 8th grade year or a 2.0 for the 2nd semester of their 8th grade year in order to play sports in the first semester of their 9th grade year. Please contact our Athletic Director, Tommy Staples at 451-4121 if you have specific questions.

30. What sports are available at NHS?

Boys - Fall Season (Cross Country, Football, Golf, Volleyball); Winter Season (Basketball, Wrestling, Swimming, Track, Scholastic Bowl); Spring Season (Baseball, Soccer, Track & Field, Tennis) Girls - Fall Season (Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Volleyball); Winter Season (Basketball, Swimming, Track, Scholastic Bowl); Spring Season (Tennis, Soccer, Track & Field, Softball) Multi-Season Sports - Cheerleading, One Act Play, Forensics and Debate Typically, the Winter Season starts around November 1, and the Spring Season starts around the middle of February. Athletes need to get a physical prior to the starting times.

31. How can my child get in touch with the counselor?

Students are encouraged to put notes in their counselors' boxes in the academies. By doing this, the counselor will get back to the student when he/she can give the student 100% of his/her time.

32. What is the difference between an excused absence and an unexcused absence?

Technically field trips are the only excused absences, however the school system does recognize doctor appointments, documented illnesses and family deaths as legitimate excuses when students file for an attendance appeal. An unexcused absence consists of skipping or cutting class.

33. When will my son/daughter eat lunch?

There are four lunches this year. Lunch assignments are based on the student's fifth/sixth block class. The schedule will be announced the first day of school. Schedule changes will not be made for lunch block requests (unless there is medical documentation). The lunch fee for this year is $1.50. Milk is $.50.

34. Does the school offer breakfast?

Yes, NHS offers breakfast beginning at 7:00 am in the commons area. 

35. Who is the ACCESS counselor?

The ACCESS counselor is at NHS three days a week. The ACCESS counselor is located in the office of Academic Affairs. Along with the academic advisors, the ACCESS counselor can assist seniors with registering for the SAT and ACT, completing the Financial Aid Form (FAFSA), scholarships, fee waivers and with the college application process. The ACCESS counselor is also available to all parents and underclassmen that discuss college and financial aid. The Access Office number is 852-4500 ext. 3022.

36. Where does my child report at the very beginning of the first day of school?

To the schedule distribution center. Please look for signs within the school.

37. What should my child bring on the first day of school?

Students should bring a pen or pencil, a notebook, and lunch or lunch money. Be advised that the lunch lines are long the first week of school, so students may want to brown bag it for the first couple of days.

38. What if I need to contact my child's teacher or Academic Advisor over the summer?

Teachers and Academic Advisors are 10-month employees and do not work during the summer. Subject and guidance department chairmen work sporadically during the summer. Please leave a message with the main office and someone will assist you as soon as they can and the best that they can.